Services may be impacted in response to COVID-19. Please contact organizations listed here prior to visiting in person to receive the most current service information.

How to Find - Affordable Housing & Help for Rent, Utilities or Property Taxes

Site: Halton Region

Record #: BTN1074
Last Full Update: 30 Mar 2022

Memos and Bulletins

Public Comments For full directory of "How to" listings on different topics, see here

Agency Information

Legal Status (50) Non Profit

Description and Service Details

Description (Service) Explains different housing types and how to apply, and directs to other housing-related listings in this directory  
* for emergency shelters see separate listing here 
Housing operated to fill a social need, not as a business 
* may be owned by government, nonprofits or charities, co-operatives, etc. 
* some is subsidized (reserved for people with low income), some is 'market rent' (open to people of any income) 
* some is reserved for seniors or people with disabilities (may have supportive services, like meals, personal support, etc.) 
How to find and apply to nonprofit housing: 
For complete list see Halton Region website here 
Details for each listing show how to apply, but in general:  
* for most market-rent units, apply directly to individual housing provider 
* for most (but not all) subsidized units, apply through HATCH (at Halton Region 905-825-6000, or see separate HATCH listing here
Halton Housing Help  
Contact at Halton Region 905-825-6000 or see separate listing here  
* can help explain the housing system, how to search and apply 
Housing that is privately owned, rented as a for-profit business 
How to find private rental market housing: 
Halton Housing Help  
Contact at Halton Region 905-825-6000 or see separate listing here 
* provides free help and support to tenants to find and keep rental housing 
* posts listings of available housing (see here)  
Rental listings can also be found in local newspapers, and on websites such as gottarent, viewit, Kijiji, etc. 
Bridging the Gap 
For youth, ages 16 to 24, who are homeless or at risk of homelessness  
* call 905-635-0663 or see full listing here 
Community Youth Programs 
Offers residential placement for youth, ages 15 to 18, not able to live with family but not ready for independent living 
* call 905-845-9718 or see full listing here 
Support House 
Offers a full range of supportive housing options for youth ages 16 and up with mental health and/or substance use issues 
* call toll free 1-833-845-9355 or see full listing here 
Halton Region Housing Stability Fund 
One-time assistance with basic housing expenses to help people maintain their housing  
* call Halton Region 905-825-6000 or see separate listing here 
VETS Canada 
For Canadian veterans who are in crisis, at risk of becoming homeless, or are homeless 
* call toll free 1-888-228-3871 ext 121 or see separate listing here 
See separate listings for Gas & Hydro Bill Assistance here 
Property Tax Rebate (for lower-income seniors or people with disabilities) 
See separate listings for Burlington * Oakville * Milton * Halton Hills or contact your local municipal government 
Older Adults Property Tax Deferral Program (for lower-income seniors) 
* call Halton Region at 905-825-6000 or see full listing here 
Halton Community Legal Services  
Provides free legal assistance to those with low income, for housing and landlord/tenant issues  
* call 905-875-2069 or see full listing here
Hours Contact organization for information
Areas Served Halton Region
Eligibility Varies by program
Application Contact individual programs for information
Languages English
Fees None

Site Information

Located In Community Halton Region
Physical Access Unknown - varies by location

Agency Overview

Locations for this Service

Any omissions are unintentional and HIP disclaims any liability for unauthorized use or reproduction of any portion of this site. For a complete copyright and license statement please refer to our Terms of Use.